Prof. Adrian Bevan
Activities and interests
I Joined BaBar in October 2000 after completing
a PhD on the CERN based experiment
NA48 at Cambridge University's HEP Group.
On NA48 I developed an interest in rare kaon decays and this has been transferred to the B system where I have
worked on charmonium and charmless B decays, concentrating on precision CP violation measurements.
I worked as a post-doc at Liverpool university for just over 5 years after which I joined Queen Mary,
University of London as a Lecturer. The rest of this page outlines my research activities on
ATLAS, BaBar, SuperB, NA48, and publications. A summary of
seminars and conference talks is available here.
ATLAS research activities. (2008 to date)
I work on the upgrade of the ATLAS tracker system. The QMUL group involvement in this work
revolved arround the Semiconductor Tracker (SCT) barrel upgrade, and design of a pixel endcap
system. In addition to this I am working on the implications for radiation protection, so that
this important aspect is factored into the upgrade design from day one.
With regard to the current ATLAS detector - I am working on understanding the effects of
planar distortions on silicon sensors and how that feeds into our ability to do physics. In
terms of data analysis I am working on an angular analysis of the
rare B decay to K*mumu using the 2012 data. A preliminary result using 8TeV
data is described in ATLAS-CONF-2017-023.
I also contributed to the CP violation in b decay from top quark pairs, published
as J. High Energ. Phys. (2017) 2017: 71. I have graduate students working on
the search for Higgs boson decays into a bb final state via di-Higgs production and Higgs production
in association with a vector boson.
Generic detector development. (2008 to date)
In addition to detector development for the ATLAS ITk upgrade I am working on several aspects of
generic radiation detector development using semiconductors. This work can lead to detector concepts
for a future ILC or the CEPC.
SuperB research activities. (2008 to 2012)
This was a proposed experiment that was cancelled in 2012 due to the ongoing
financial uncertainty in Europe. I was physics coordinator of that project, and
advised on the physics programme for a potential tau-charm factory that could have
been a smaller scale project in line with the original scientific goals of SuperB.
My main interests for this programme were in terms of time-dependent CP and T violation
tests using B and D decays, and for lepton flavour violating tau decays.
BaBar research activities. (2000 to date)
BaBar was my main research activity post-graduation until the completion of the
Physics of the B Factories book. I focused on measurements of CP violation, highlights
of which are the determination of a method to measure the unitarity triangle angle
alpha (now known to 5o), the measurement of the angle beta (now known to
better than 1o) and searches for a number of rare decays. I am one of
five editors of the Physics of the B Factories, a book to be published by Springer.
CKM Angle Alpha and related topics
I am a main author of
the CP violation measurement of B0->rho+rho-.
Thus far, this work has yielded three journal publications:
(82/fb result: PRL),
(210/fb result: PRL), and
(349/fb: PRD). In addition there
were several preliminary results presented at the winter conferences in 2003 and 2004 and
summer 2006 (on 316/fb).
Early on in these studies, I determined that using experimental knowledge
of the B->rhorho decays one can limit the penguin
uncertainty in B->rhorho. In addition I performed the first isospin analysis on
BaBar of the B->rhorho decays, showing conclusively that the time dependent measurement from
B0->rho+rho- constitutes a measurement of alpha.
I wrote a
review article on the measurement of alpha at the B-factories
This has been published in Modern Physics Letters A.
I performed a search for the rare B
(hep-ex/0605024: PRD-RC). This decay mode is a background to
B0->rho+rho-. It also happens to be sensitive to alpha (although
extraction of the CKM angle from this decay would be extremely difficult).
I have played a major role in the
early searches for B0->pi0 pi0 since joining BaBar. I was the
main author of this analysis from Winter 00/01 through to summer 03. This work has been done in
conjunction with others within BaBar's 2-body analysis working group and led to results being presented
at Moriond and ICHEP in 2002, and at Lepton Photon in 2003. There is a conference paper
conference paper and
hep-ex/0303028: PRL from the ICHEP '02 result.
The LP '03 result also resulted in a hep-ex/0308012: PRL.
Upon observation of this decay mode, it became clear that the isospin analysis in B->pipi would
provide very limited constraints for the foreseeable future. This motivated my interest in
B->rhorho decays as described above.
CKM Angle Beta and related topics
With a colleauge from QMUL, I produced the
paper 'Evidence for CP Violation in B0->J/Psi pi0 decays', by measuring
a non-zero value of sin2beta in that mode using the full BaBar data sample (See arXiv:0804.0896).
With a colleauges from
Caltech, Irvine and Maryland, I worked on the final BaBar update of the measurement of
sin2beta from ccbars decays. A preliminary result was produced for the ICHEP 2008
conference (hep-ex, arXiv:0808.1903).
This was followed up with (hep-ex, arXiv:0902.1708), which has been
published as PRD 79:072009, 2009. At the time of publication this was the most precise determination of
Rare Charmless B Decays
I co-convened the
(password protected) with Alessandro Gaz (Colorado). This AWG has many interests, ranging
from direct CP violation searches, Unitarity triangle angle measurements, through
to probing the dynamics of B->VV decays and searching for rare hadronic B-decays and
possible signs of new physics. This AWG typically produces 8 journal publications
a year, and mainly concentrates on exclusive measurements of B-meson decays.
interests which are ongoing include searches for rare B decays to VV
The following is a brief summary of my activity in the MDI group on BaBar
I've worked on trying to understand how to use beam size measurements from PEP-IIs beam profile monitors
for the low and high energy ring in terms of calculating the beam parameters at the interaction point.
This is a relatively recent area of activity for me, and the intial results of these studies
were presented at EPAC '06 (see the preprint physics/0607087),
and a paper has recently been accepted for publication in NIM.
NA48 research activities. (1998-2000)
While on NA48 I completed an analysis of the rare kaon decay KL -> mu+ mu- gamma
for my thesis. I also worked on Monte Carlo studies of Dalitz decays of the K0 meson and studied
radiative corrections for K0->2mu2gamma, K0->pi02mu, K0->2e2mu and K0->4mu.
The full list of my publications can be found on INSPIRE at this location. A selection of recent highlights of my work can be found below.
Papers and pre-prints
- Solution-Processed Donor-Acceptor Poly(3-hexylthiophene):Phenyl-C61-butyric Acid Methyl Ester Diodes for Low-Voltage alpha Particle Detection, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces
- Experimental studies on the dynamic memcapacitance modulation of the ReO3@ReS2 composite material-based diode Nanomaterials 2020, 10(11), 2103;
- Machine learning techniques for detecting topological avatars of new physics
- (arXiv:1902.08103) Searches for third-generation scalar leptoquarks in 13 TeV pp collisions with the ATLAS detector
(INSPIRE) (re-iterpretation of the data inarXiv:1808.00336).
A search for resonant and non-resonant Higgs boson pair production in the bbtautau decay channel in pp collisions at sqrt(s)=13 TeV with the ATLAS detector
- (arXiv:1805.04000) Angular analysis of B0d to K* mumu decays in pp collisions at sqrt(s)=8 TeV with the ATLAS detector
- (arXiv:1610.07869) Measurements of charge and CP asymmetries in b-hadron decays using top-quark events
collected by the ATLAS detector in pp collisions at sqrt(s)=8 TeV, J. High Energ. Phys. (2017) 2017: 71
- (arXiv:1604.04263)Study of the rare decays of B0s and B0 into muon pairs from data collected during the LHC Run 1 with the ATLAS detector, Eur.Phys.J. C76 (2016) no.9, 513
- (arXiv:1508.00222) Testing discrete symmetries at a super tau-charm factory, submitted to Front. of Phys., Front.Phys.(Beijing) 11 (2016) no.1, 111401
- (arXiv:1506.04246) C, P, and CP asymmetry observables based on triple product asymmetries, proceedings of the Charm 2015 Conference, May, Detroit, USA.
- (arxiv:1505.06943) Experimental prospects for C, P, T, CP and CPT tests, proceedings of the DISCRETE 2014 conference, December 2014, London, UK, J.Phys.Conf.Ser. 631 (2015) no.1, 012003
- (arXiv:1411.0329) Symmetry violations at BaBar, proceedings of the BEACH 2014 Conference, 21-26 July 2014, Birmingham, UK, J.Phys.Conf.Ser. 556 (2014) no.1, 012042
- (arXiv:1408.3813) C, P, and CP asymmetry observables based on triple product asymmetries
- (arXiv:1406.6311) Physics of the B Factories, Eur.Phys.J. C74 (2014) 3026
- (arXiv:1401.6938) Conclusions of the MITP Workshop on T Violation and CPT Tests in Neutral-Meson Systems
- (arXiv:1311.0920) T symmetry invariance tests in neutral meson decays, PoS EPS-HEP2013 (2013) 001
- (arXiv:1310.0050) Bounding hadronic uncertainties in c to u decays, Phys.Rev. D90 (2014) no.9, 094028
- (arXiv:1302.4191) Neutral meson tests of time-reversal symmetry invariance,
- (arXiv:1112.1394) The Physics Programme at SuperB, proceedings of the 15th Lomonosov Conference on Elementary Particle Physics, August 18-24 2011, Moscow, Russia
- (arXiv:1111.0168) Time-dependent CP asymmetries in charm decays, PoS EPS-HEP2011 (2011) 413
- (arXiv:1110.3901) The Physics of Heavy Flavours at SuperB, J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 39 (2012) 023001.
- (arXiv:1109.5028) The impact of SuperB on Flavour Physics
- (arXiv:1202.0733) B Factories, Comptes Rendus Physique, Volume 13, Issue 2, March 2012, Pages 145-151
- (arXiv:1106.5075) Time-dependent CP asymmetries in D and B decays, PRD 84 114009 (2011).
- (arXiv:1009.5963) Super Flavour Factory Round Table - The SuperB Physics Programme: Nucl. Phys. B (Proc. Suppl.) 209 (2010) 55-63
- (arXiv:1008.1938) Design Study for a SuperB Pixel Vertex Detector
(INSPIRE entry) [Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research, A 643 (2011), pp. 29-35]
- (arXiv:1008.1541) SuperB Progress Reports -- Physics.
- (arXiv:1007.4241) SuperB Progress Reports -- Detector.
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0909.2519)Flavour Physics at B-factories and other machines, EPS, Krakow, Poland 16-22 July 2009.
- (hep-ph, arXiv:0907.5386)Flavor Physics in the Quark Sector. Report of the CKM workshop, Rome 9-13th Sep. 2008.
- Interaction-point phase-space characterization using single-beam and luminous-region measurements at PEP-II, W. Kozaneck, A. Bevan et al. NIM Volume 607, Issue 2 (2009) pp 293-321. (INSPIRE entry)
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0906.2103)
The measurement of alpha from the B-factories: Proceedings of the Tenth Conference on the Intersections of Particle and Nuclear Physics, San Diego, California, May 2009
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0906.1008)
The SuperB Experiment: Proceedings of the Tenth Conference on the Intersections of Particle and Nuclear Physics, San Diego, California, May 2009
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0905.2305)
SuperB: Proceedings from Moriond Electroweak 2009.
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0902.1708)
Measurement of Time-Dependent CP Asymmetry in B0->ccbar K(*)0 Decays (Phy. Rev. D 79 072009, 2009)
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0812.4388)
Results from the B Factories: Proceedings of lectures given at the
Helmholtz International Summer School on Heavy Quark Physics, Bogoliubov
Laboratory of Theoretical Physics, Dubna, Russia, August 11-21, 2008
- (hep-ph, arXiv:0810.1312)
Proceedings of SuperB Workshop VI: New Physics at the Super Flavor Factory
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0808.1903)
Update of Time-Dependent CP Asymmetry Measurements in b -> c-cbar-s Decays
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0807.3935)
Searches for B meson decays to phiphi, phirho, phifzero(980), and fzero(980)fzero(980) final states [PRL 101, 201801 (2008) ]
- Interaction-Point Phase-Space Characterization using Single-Beam and Luminous-Region Measurements at PEP-II
[Submitted to NIM]
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0804.0896)
Evidence for CP violation in B0->J/Psi pi0 decays [PRL 101, 021801 (2008)]
- (hep-ph, arXiv:0801.1833)
B, D and K decays, Report of Working Group 2 of the CERN Workshop ``Flavour in the era of the LHC'', Geneva, Switzerland, November 2005 - March 2007
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0712.1894)
The Physics Case Of The SuperB Facility [Proceedings from HADRON07: XII Int. Conf. on Hadron Spectroscopy -- Frascati, October 8-13, 2007]
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0709.0451)
SuperB: A High-Luminosity Asymmetric e+ e- Super Flavor Factory. Conceptual Design Report
- (hep-ex, arXiv:0705.2157)
A Study of B0 to rho+rho- Decays and Constraints on the CKM Angle alpha [PRD 76, 052007 (2007)]
Measurement of alpha / phi_2 from B to pi pi Decays [Proceedings to the 4th International Workshop on the CKM Unitarity,
12-16 December 2006, Nagoya, Japan]
The Super Flavor Factory [Proceedings of the International Conference On
B-Physics At Hadron Machines (Beauty 2006) 25-29 Sep 2006, Oxford, England]
Updated Measurement of the CKM Angle alpha Using B0->rho+rho- Decays
- (physics/0607087) Combined phase space characterization at the pep-ii ip using single-beam and luminous-region measurements [Proceedings of The Tenth European Particle Accelerator Conference, Edinburgh, UK 26-30 June 2006] (INSPIRE entry).
Rare hadronic B decays [Proceedings of International Conference on Flavor Physics, Chung-Li, Taiwan, 3rd-8th October 2005]
Search for the decay B0 to a1+/- rho-/+ [Phys.Rev. D74 (2006) 031104]
Measurement of the CKM angle alpha with the B-factories [Mod.Phys.Lett. A21 (2006) 305-318]
Improved Measurement of the CKM Angle alpha Using B0->rho+rho- Decays [Phys.Rev.Lett. 95 (2005) 041805]
Measurements of sin2alpha/phi2 from B -> pipi, rhopi and rhorho modes
Study of the decay B0(B0bar)-->rho+rho-, and constraints on the CKM angle alpha [Phys.Rev.Lett. 93 (2004) 231801]
Observation of the Decay B0 -> pi0 pi0 [Phys.Rev.Lett. 91 (2003) 241801]
Observation of the Decay B+- -> pi+- pi0, Study of B+- -> K+- pi0, and Search for B0 -> pi0 pi0 [Phys.Rev.Lett.91:021801,2003]
- Direct CP asymmetries and charmless branching fractions with BaBar. Proceedings of ICHEP 2002, p525-528.(INSPIRE entry)
A Search for the Decay B0 -> pi0 pi0
- Recent rare kaon decay results from NA48, J. Phys. G 27, p1161 (2001).
- A high sensitivity investigation of K(S) and neutral hyperon decays using a modified K(S) beam. (Addendum 2).
I have given lecture courses as detailed below. More details on these can be found via my
Teaching Web Page.
I am the author of two books: The Physics of the B Factories (Springer) and a book on Statistical Data Anlalysis (Cambridge University Press). Some additional statistics related information can be found here.
- Mathematics Techniques for first year undergraduates at QMUL, which covers
calculus, series, complex numbers, Fourier series and Fourier integrals.
- Scientific Measurement (undergraduate laboratory course).
- Quantum Mechanics B (undergraduate lecture course).
- Statistical Data Analysis (undergraduate lecture course).
- Introduction to the use of UNIX and ROOT in HEP (graduate lecture course).
- CP Violation (graduate lecture course).
- Lectures on flavour physics at the IDPASC school, Valencia (2013)
- Lectures on multivariate methods here at BaBar analysis schools.
- Lectures on flavour physics at the Helmholtz Summer School in Dubna (2008)
- Tutorials for the YETI07 meeting on Statistical Methods
The material can be found here.