There are currently no open permanent positions. Watch this space for upcoming ones.
Recently closed permanent positions:
Post-doctoral grant-funded positions
There are currently no open post-doctoral positions. Watch this space for upcoming ones.
Recently closed post-doctoral positions:
Neutrino research associate position to work on the SNO+ experiment: closing date 22nd October 2016
Two junior neutrino research associate positions (3 year contract) to work on T2K/Hyper-Kamiokande and Super-Kamiokande
Please refer to the PhD programme page
Training opportunities for students at CERN
QMUL undergraduate students can apply for training periods at CERN.
Funding Opportunities for Post-doctoral Research
There are a number of sources of funding for Post-doctoral Fellowships. The group welcomes exceptional candidates who manage to secure funding through such sources. If you are interested in applying to any of the schemes detailed below we can offer help and guidance with the application process - please contact the academic you wish to work with. Please note that the information on this page is to give an idea of possible schemes but please look at the linked pages for the most up to date criteria and timeline for each scheme.
A summary of the main criteria for each available scheme are detailed below along with indicative closing dates. Please note that the criteria, availability and closing dates change from year to year so please refer to the specific website for each scheme.
Royal Society Fellowships (internal deadline 07/2017 - TBC)
The Royal Society offers a number of prestigious Fellowships under three different programmes:
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships, which are tenable for 5 years and renewable in two instalments up to 10 years. These are mainly for outstanding researchers at an advanced post-doctoral level.
- Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships, mainly designed for people who need flexible working patterns due to personal commitments. These are tenable for 4 years.
- Newton International Fellowships, 2-year fellowships for non-UK outstanding researchers at an early stage of their career.
European Commission Fellowships (internal deadlines TBA)
The European Union offers a number of prestigious Fellowships under the Horizon 2020 programme, specifically:
- ERC Starting grants, 5-year positions for researcher leaders with 2-7 years of postdoctoral experience who wish to start or consolidate their research.
- ERC Consolidator grants, 5-year positions for established researchers with 7-12 years of postdoctoral experience.
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie individual fellowships, 2-year positions for junior researchers.
STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowships (internal deadline 07/2017 TBC; internal decisions 08/2017 TBC)
The STFC award a small number of 5-year Ernest Rutherford Fellowships: STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowships.
These awards are very competitive and we can only put forward 1-2 applicants per round, which are decided as per the deadlines above.
Other funding opportunities supported by the STFC can be found at the link: STFC Fellowships.
Leverhulme Grant schemes
There are a number of grant schemes offered by the Leverhulme Trust. The general description of the available schemes can be found here. Of particular interests are the following fellowships:
- Early Career Fellowships Around 70 fellowships available but across all disciplines. Degree from UK HE institution, or academic position in UK. Under 35. Hold PhD (or submitted it by closing date)
- Research Fellowships
Other Funding Opportunities
There are other opportunities for post-doctoral research funding at Queen Mary. These include:
- Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Fellowships, 3-year fellowships, for early career researchers; subject to annual renewal.
- L'Oréal Women In Science Awards: Around 4 UK and Ireland Fellowships awarded per year to outstanding women scientists in the early stages of their career to enable and/or facilitate promising scientific research. Support a 12-month period of postdoctoral research in any area of the life or physical sciences. The value of each fellowship is ~£15,000. Candidates must have no more than 10 years active full-time equivalent postdoctoral experience. Candidates must not currently hold a permanent academic post.
- Boncompagni-Ludovisi Fellowships, for italian or swedish researchers.
- Della Riccia Fellowships, for italian citizens.